8 Things to do on a Grown-Up Snow Day
Snow days hold such magic in their existence, even more so now that I am an adult than when I was child. As a kid growing up in the
seventies (unlike my life now as a working Mom of four kids), was basically an unscheduled paradise outside of going to school and the occasional family event. Now, with a full time job, taking care of household chores, cooking meals for my family, community commitments, and my boy’s extracurricular activities and homework needs – it seems as though every waking moment is scheduled to the nth degree!
Thus, snow days are like the best unexpected Christmas present EVER!!!! It is an ENTIRE DAY that was unbelievably over scheduled that miraculously and immediately is now a clean slate! Not even a weekend holds such promise — such luxurious BLISS!
Since I like to be a little different, and since my birthday falls on the 8th of March, my top 8 things to do on a snow day are:
- Candles, and lots of them! This helps to re-enact my childhood where we would lose electricity in big snow storms, usually for AT LEAST THREE DAYS. Even though we were not a camping family, my Dad would bring the green Coleman stove out of the garage so Mom could cook.
- Fresh coffee with a splash of heavy whipping cream. We purchased a Kuerig several years ago, and we have become total coffee snobs. I used to have a boss that only drank coffee … EVER. When we would go out to eat, he would always request a FRESH cup of coffee, and send it back if it didn’t pass his approval while I silently rolled my eyes thinking, “he can’t tell – he’s just being difficult”. However, now that I have come to Kuerigland, I TOTALLY get it.
- Paint sets (I am starting with “by the number” sets after four lifetimes of burying my artistic creativity — I am taking baby steps to re-establish my creative genius) and a good read! A big shout out and thank you to Hobby Lobby and Book Bub for keeping me stocked in both these areas.
- Bake some 5 Ingredient Keto Chocolate Cookies and some keto hot chocolate for Me (heaven – the cookie recipe makes 12 —- I am good for two weeks), which will aid me through the temptation of #5. I would be remiss not to mention how fantastic all of Martina’s recipes are at the Keto Blog, and her app is unbelievably helpful too.
- No bean chili on the stove for dinner (this snow day is turning out to be just an all-out-cooking-fest I guess).
- Hot Cocoa for kids with Original Toll House Chocolate Chip cookies
when they come in from sled riding in the snow, and after they have been cupboard trolls.
- Make more Crochet babies. I tried these out for a few expecting friends, but my youngest keeps confiscating them and naming the after his class mates….
- My new found love – Diet Root Beer Mock float – just put a shot of heavy whipping cream in a glass and add a cold can of Diet Root beer (although – this is NOT Whole 30 friendly so I will be saving this for a later date). TADA!!! Instant zero/next to zero-carb root beer float!!!!! Heaven in a glass!
So – now that you have seen my list, share what is on your snow day list. I can’t wait to hear what new additions I will have to borrow from you for my next snow day magic!