Whole 30 Day 23 – Non-Scale Victories
It is Day 23 of my #JanuaryWhole30, and I have started to realize just how many non-scale victories I am encountering. Don’t get my wrong – I am dying to get on the scale on Day 31 as I believe the number will be smaller than it was on Day 0. Yet, in my office today it hit me just how many non-scale victories I already notice. This realization hit me like a 2X4 when I had a call from one of my young tribe, causing me quite a bit of concern and anxiety. My initial response was, “I need to get a snack!”. That’s when the board smacked me –THWACK!!! — I wasn’t hungry, I just wanted something to ease my stress and discomfort.
Before this The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom, I would have just run to the closest coffee room or secretary desk and “let the grazing begin” until I ate my way to pacifying my concerns. Now, as soon as I realized what was going on, my new-and-improved-whole-30-brain-in-control-of-my-sugar-dragon responded back with “Oh no Ma’am – you are feeling way too good to do that … pull out that Down Dog app instead”. And so — being this far on my journey – my Whole 30 self won the battle over my old emotional eating self (GO ME!), and so lizard pose it was!
I am so excited not only about making a better choice, but also about the realization that I needed and wanted to make a better choice! I hopped over to the the Whole 30 site to check out how many of the non-scale victories I could already claim as my own:
- flatter stomach (I can definitely feel a difference here and how my clothes fit)
- less bloating (again, waistbands are much more comfortable)
- rings fitting better (they slide nicely over my knuckles and don’t feel like they are strangling my fingers in the morning now, thank you very much!)
- less joint swelling, less stiff and painful joints (This was really something I was hoping for from this Whole 30, so SCORE!)
- better mood and fewer mood swings (my young tribe will attest to this one…)
- improved “regularity” (that will have to suffice as explanation enough….)
- dealing with stress better (just see the paragraph above!)
- less reliance on the scale (this is one of the MOST freeing feelings ever!!!!)
- feeling in control of food, and a better relationship with food (another much needed and hoped for NSV)
- feel more productive (for some reason, there seems to be a correlation in my life between the Whole 30 and my consumption of TV viewing – I have really only watched the AM news. This drop in TV viewing has definitely amplified my productivity)
- Sleep more soundly (I still wake up to use the restroom thanks to child#2 sitting on my kidneys forever in utero (- thanks Lolo!), and wake up for a bit around 3am, but the time I am awake is much shorter and the sleep I am getting is much better to where I don’t feel exhausted in the morning)
- more even energy levels (mornings are still more productive for me, but I have no afternoon slump, and seem to be productive until about 30 minutes before bedtime)
- more energy to exercise, and started exercising consistently (this is a HUGE shocker as I have yet to meet an exercise that I want to do without being dragged kicking and screaming. I am now looking forward to my two Down Dog sessions a day, and looking for other activities I might enjoy)
- Skin healthier (so much so that I have been leaving the house with NO makeup on!!!!!)
So how about you other Whole-30’ers – what are you noticing in your NSV columns?
If you enjoy my posts, please use the “subscribe” button on the left of the page to receive my latest posts directly in your mailbox!